2013 - Challenge 70 (english)






Challenge 70




After the goals of my 40th (sail across the atlantic), 50th (complete cross country races for worldloppet master), 60th (excursions in MTB) I thought of completing the Umbria Marathon (a mountain bike circuit of 5 races in Umbria, Italy) and the Sellaronda Hero (a competitive race in the Italian dolomites) before my 70th birthday.





Umbria marathon   
(http://umbriamarathon.altervista.org/)


The circuit consists of 5 races averaging 40-45 km in length and 1300-1700 m in vertical climb, they are taking places in Umbria, in the center of Italy (precisely in Orvieto, Baschi, Nocera Umbra, Massa Martana, where we live, and Costaccario)
The races offer two alternatives: short circuits or long ones, I had done all the short ones in the past.
Since I had been riding with the Massa Martana MTB group for a while, all I had to do was train a little harder and hope to be able to complete the 5 long races.


1- Orvieto Wine Marathon, Orvieto:  38 km, vertical climb 1380 m .
It is an early (read winter) race and trail conditions are generally pretty bad. This year was no exception and in fact the race had to be postponed for a week due to heavy rain and snow which made the track dangerous.
Took a few spills without any damages and managed not to arrive last.
Met some competitors over 60 that I did not recall meeting before, but they remembered me from last year. Memory memory where are thou?
Results: 3h45, arrived  290th out of  296

Crossing river at Orvieto


2- Trofeo Avis Baschi, Baschi : 37 km, vertical climb  1350 m.
As in Orvieto many ups and downs single tracks.   Difficult to get to a good regular rhythm but beautiful landscapes over lago di CorbaraMet same group of fellows, among them Valter  and Gaetano, among many others from Terni.
May have been my best placing.
Results: 3h06, arrived 238th out of 250



3- Gran Fondo delle Sorgente, Nocera Umbra: 40 km, vertical climb 1470 m.
Rainish weather which ruined the beauty of the track though some sections were very pretty.  Very muddy conditions which made for slippery downhill rides, and some falls.
Valter was there, but Gaetano had fallen and broken 5 vertebrae the week before, he is out of the cicrcuit for a while, too bad I enjoyed his company.
Results: 3h23, arrived 212th out of 216


4- Martani Superbike, Massa Martana: 45 km, vertical climb 1750 m.
Strong rain storm the night before the race. At the start one could not see the top of the mountain (alt. 1100 m)  and it was cold.  Organizers changed the track due to fog and mud.  Being on my own turf was an advantage but it was still a hard race. Got a prize as the older participant (3 bottles of wine!)
Results: 4:h 22,  arrived 199th out of  203

Arriving last in Massa Martana

Massa Martana

That is mud!



5- Gran Fondo Monte Cucco, Costacciaro : 41 km, vertical climb  1450 m.
The last but the most difficult  of the 5 races according to MTBers who had done them all.  I not only had to walk up the very steep hills but also on the downhills which were way too technical and risky for me. On the other hand there were some very enjoyable downhill sections which were like a toboggan.
For most of the race I was last and was accompanied by the rider who closed the race. The rain at the end did not  help much either. It was a great feeling to see the finish line and realize I had done it. 
Results: 4h17,  arrived 461st out of  461

And……. 
Surprise: I was 5th in my age group (60 and over) and came home with a bottle of wine and a salami as prize!

Prize ceremony in Costacciaro


Umbria marathon 2013: final ranking 13th out of 43 in the age group 55 and over.




 SELLARONDA HERO RACE
(http://www.sellarondahero.com/en/Default.asp)

The Südtirol Sellaronda HERO is a classic mountain bike race, which is registered in the international calendar of the UCI MTB MARATHON WORLD SERIES.  It takes place around the Sella range in the Italian Dolomites.
There are two courses:  one is  84 km long and 4300 m  vertical climb course, the other  62km and 3300 m vertical climb.  I opted for the short race, not sure I would even finish it.  Betsy came along as support and cheering team mate.

Great atmosphere in the city of Selva Gardena, full of eager and fit young bikers, I felt a bit out of my league in fitness and in age.  I estimated  that finishing in eight and half hours would be quite an achievement.


The course is quite physical and requires good stamina. In spite of my training (over 1,000 km and 35,000 m of vertical climb since November) I had to walk up and down many sections of the course, and I was certainly not the only one in doing so.  Landscapes were stunning since the race takes place at elevations between 1500 and 2300 m with sections above the treeline, going all around the Sella range.  It was nice to meet some friends from the Umbria Marathon races as well as two other chaps from the Massa Martana bike group. 
The weather worsened at half course with rain and hail turning tracks in muddy rivers.  Mud was the order of the day.  The last downhill was just a mud trail where control, if any was difficult.  I was very glad to see Betsy waiting for me at the arrival, and SO happy to have completed the course in a reasonable time.


Start: when we are all rested, clean and smiling.

Many hours later: tired, muddy but happy


Muddy rider


Official results


Results: 9h 06, arrived 470th out of 616 and second in my age group (65 and over) and the oldest to finish.

Final comments:
A very tough race where I had to walk in many places, I would not be able to pedal all of it.  The profile is challenging and the weather made things more difficult.  It requires a strong commitment and mental and physical preparation. 
Real question is: would (could) I do it again?





Addendum June 2014


I did the full race (84 km, 4300 m vertical climb) in June 2014.
I was happy to see among the participants my friend Massimo as well as Giuseppe and Daniel from Terni, all of them doing the long race and not the short one I did last year.
You could tell it was going to be a good race, fine weather, 4000 participants, supportive public and a great overall atmosphere.  While going to the starting area I see my friend Massimo and join him on the grid, even though it was not MY starting grid.
The beginning of the race is the same for both circuits and then splits at km 15.  On the long circuit it is imperative to reach Canazei (km 56, and 3000m approx of cumulative vertical climb) before 16:00, otherwise one is not allowed to continue racing.  I reach Canazei at 15:15 better than I thought, and I start to believe that I shall complete the race within the time limit.
As last year the race is really difficult and I end up doing many sections on foot, especially at the end where I am unable to pedal up even the smallest hill.  The last downhill kilometers towards Selva Valgardena are exhilarating and I cross the line at 18:45 approx, with a total racing time of 11:17.

But ...... I am disqualified for not having respected my starting grid!
I did it but, Darn, I'll have to redo it in 2015...

I found the long circuit easier than the short one from a technical point of view but certainly not from a physical point of view.  It is exhausting and it did take me over a month to recover.





WHAT WILL IT BE FOR CHALLENGE 80?

No comments:

Post a Comment